Translate

Monday, January 2, 2017

Hey Now! This Is What Subject Lines Are Made Of!

Do you ever struggle with getting your consumers to interact with your e-mails? Here are some great tips for getting your consumers to do so with your subject lines! We'll also look to Disney for some inspiration with great e-mail tactics in today's Spotlight.

Miranda Paquet's Subject Line Tips


Miranda Paquet's infographic on subject lines is fantastic! She actually uses the words "subject lines" to show you how to create an effective subject line, which I will show you and give a brief explanation of for each type. So, according, to Miranda Paquet of Constant Contact, here are 12 tips for e-mail subject lines:

"Snappy"

Do not make your subject line super long. You want your subject line to be as quick as the Flash on this one.


"Urgent"

You can only get this here and now! Make sure that your subject line is to where you make your consumers anxious to buy your product or service.

"Bold"

Hold on to your hats! We're about to knock your socks off. Be out there and use strong words, such as these, with your subject lines.

"Joking"

Use humor to get your point across with jokes and puns in your subject line.

"Emotional"

Make your consumers emotionally attached to your e-mail! One example of this would be to use a "slice of life" style with your subject line. Use the subject line to relate to your consumers' values.

"Celebratory"

Make your subject a PARTAY! "Celebrate" the great deals or offerings that you have going on with your subject line.

"Teasing"

Have you ever dangled bacon in front of a dog? This is the exact same concept! "Tease" your consumers with exclusivity and their wants in order to get them to open your e-mail.


"Loud"

BE LOUD AND PROUD! This is YOUR company and YOUR e-mail. Make it SHINE with LOUD words and EXCLAMATIONS!

"Inquisitive"

Ask questions with your subject line, such as, "wouldn't you like to be offered a great subject line?" Well, I just did. You're welcome.

"Negative"

Flip the tables on a "negative" concept and make it a "positive" one (Paquet). One example that Paquet gives for this type of subject line is, "7 annoying cover letter mistakes".

"Eccentric"

This is where you make your subject unique and, maybe, a little crazy. You could use a weird concept, such as "Dog vs. Doorbell: Who Would Win?"

"Sincere"

Above anything else, your company should always be honest and true with your consumers. Show them that you care about them with your subject line, such as "We Appreciate Your Business".

This infographic and article has great pictures and examples for each type of subject line. Go check it out for more great insights!

Spotlight



One thing that you need to know about me: I LOVE DISNEY. I am so obsessed that I am currently listening to my Jonas Brothers playlist as I'm typing up this post, I used a lyric from The Lizzie McGuire Movie as the title to this post, and I personally own about 40 Disney movies in my crazily large movie collection (that is not counting my Marvel movies or Kim Possible seasons 1 & 2 DVDs). Suffice it say, I am a Disney fan, and I am NOT ASHAMED.

So, when it comes to their e-mail marketing strategies, I'm proud to say that Disney's got it down. As a member of the Disney Movie Rewards program (did I mention that I was a Disney fan?), I get e-mails monthly about new prizes, offers, and the latest news from Disney. If I'm gone for too long, they'll offer me points just to bring me back (another great example here of a "sincere" subject line). Their e-mails are always fun to explore, and they have a great design!

Did you know that at Mail Charts' website you can see how certain companies implement their e-mailing strategies? To look at how Disney implements theirs, click here. Have fun with e-mailing your consumers, and have a happy New Year!





Pictures found on Google Images. I do not own these pictures, nor the Flash or Disney trademarks, lyrics, and quotes. This is being used for educational purposes.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post and like your design/layout! I'm a disney fan as well mainly because of my younger sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kalund! It's nice to know there are more Disney fans out there. :)

      Delete
  2. A nice twist to an already well discussed topic on the importance of subject lines. You had a very nice pace and flow to your writing. A very easy to read post that wasn't bogged down with paragraphs and paragraphs of text.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete